Sunday 9 February 2014

The MEXT Undergraduate Scholarship - the Written Exam Experience

As stated in my earlier post, this is the second step in applying for the MEXT Undergraduate Scholarship and the step where most candidates get eliminated. Last year, my exams were at early July and were held at Confucius Chinese Private School in Kuala Lumpur.

Because the exams were held from morning till late afternoon (with a lunch break in-between), and as someone living in Singapore then (about a 3.5-hour drive away from Kuala Lumpur), I can't possibly wake up 4 a.m. in the morning and ask my parents to drive me to the exam venues right? So me and my father went to Kuala Lumpur by bus the day before the exams and stayed at a hotel. Of course, that gave me plenty of time to visit the capital of my country, somewhere I never visited before...

Anyway, going to K.L. the day before also gave me enough time to rest, and be all genki before the exams! My category was Natural Science B, so as stated in the earlier post, I had to take English, Biology, Mathematics (B), Chemistry, Japanese. The first four papers are each an hour long and conducted entirely in English. The Japanese paper was 2 hours long.

So the following are how I feel for the papers for my year. Take note though, in these past year papers provided by the Study Japan website, the format of my year (2014) was similar to the 2007 and 2008 papers. Which means it could be the same for the next few years. And yes, having done the past year papers, I felt that these papers are the more challenging ones (reasons also listed below). 


1. English: The paper consisted of 50 multiple-choice questions and was a straightfoward paper that tested grammar, vocabulary and comprehension. The grammar part was rather easy, as long as you know your tenses well, it shouldn't be a problem. There was one part of the questions that asked you to identify the erratic part of a sentence which was a bit tougher though. 

For the vocabulary items, I would put it at around SPM (for Malaysia) or O-Level (for Singapore) standard. Which means that if you can usually read an article on BBC (like this one) without the need for a dictionary, you should be fine.

Comprehension was easier than grammar, in my opinion. Out of the 10 questions, 8-9 were literal questions and only the rest were inferential. 


2. Mathematics (B): I thought this was the most difficult paper out of all the ones I took. And yeah, the format was like the 2007-2009 papers, not the 2010 papers. Which means that the marks for each question was very high and furthermore, it was unguided. You need to only answer each question with a number and you can get like, 10-20 marks?

The first "big" question consisted of 5 smaller questions and each tested on easier algebraic concepts. This is the question where I think I scored and had the highest value out of all the 3 "big" questions. 

The next two "big" questions were really difficult. One focused on geometry and the other calculus. I had no idea what the geometry question was all about (I hate geometry!) and I could merely guess the answer (thankfully they didn't require me to show my working). The calculus question, though, was manageable, and I could answer it with my A-Level Mathematics knowledge.


3. Biology: Students in Singapore studying Biology at A-Levels, take note! The Biology paper bore little resemblance to A-Level Biology and you will definitely need to revise your O-Level Biology (which focuses on the macroscopic study of biology). The paper would be better to SPM/UEC students though, in my opinion. Anyway, I answered almost all the questions with rather confidence and guess a few questions on biodiversity as well as the names of biologists.


4. Chemistry: Chemistry was much, much more manageable than the other two maths/science papers and it tested on basic chemistry concepts, from stoichiometry to inorganic reactions as well as organic compounds. I would say the chemistry paper is about 75% of A-Level standard and slightly higher standard than SPM. 


5. Japanese: Students who did not know Japanese, like me at the point of taking the exams, wrote their personal particulars and left the exam venue (it was the final paper of the day). Now, recalling back, the Japanese paper consisted of three parts. Presently my Japanese is about JLPT N4-N5 standard and I would say I could do the first part with ease, maybe do a bit of the second part and leave the rest blank. 

Anyway, the Japanese results is merely for those good in Japanese to stand a better chance and would not count into the final score, so I didn't really care that much at that time. 


So... How could one prepare for the exams?


  1. Do the past year papers linked above. If you can't finish all, at least complete the 2007-2008 papers as the same format might appear again this year.
  2. If you want extra practice, you could do the sample papers on EJU's website. According to what I heard, the EJU syllabus is similar to that of this written exam.
  3. Train your mental calculation. Take note, no calculator is allowed (for maths & science), so try doing all the papers above without using a calculator. Don't worry though, the answers would not involve complex calculations.
  4. I'm not sure about the Japanese paper though because I didn't take it, but I heard cramming the grammar before the exams helps.

What to do the day before the exams?

  1. For Malaysians living far away from K.L. (like Johor Bahru, Penang etc), I think it would be better if you arrive in K.L. the day before the exams and stay in a hotel or friend's/relative's house. For me, I stayed in a cheap-rate hotel because I didn't have any friends or relatives in K.L. Thankfully, it wasn't the peak season so the hotel rates were cheaper.
  2. Have lots of good rest. This is paramount as all the papers will be held in a single day. Therefore ensure you have enough stamina to whiz through all the papers!
  3. Ensure you have enough pencils, erasers, sharpeners and the stationery you need in your pencil box. I'm not sure whether pens are allowed, but if they are, I would still recommend pencil + eraser though because it's neater and you can avoid mass crossing-out. Remember, no calculators!
  4. On the morning of the exams, have a light breakfast. Not too much because it makes you feel sleepy easily. 

So that's all about the written exams. Again, I apologize for not being able to cover all details, including the World History, Mathematics (A) and Physics papers because I didn't take them. And this post is written from the perspective of a Malaysian who was educated in Singapore for 4 years, which is why I could only compare the papers to the Malaysia and Singapore national examinations and not others. The exam papers will be the same worldwide though. 

Anyway, I hope for all the best for those taking the exams in the future, and may the odds be ever in your favor! 頑張って!

17 comments:

  1. How will I know if it's Math A or Math B?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't math A for humanities and Math B for Natural science?

      Delete
  2. super thank you....that advice really helps...i wonder if you know anything about 2011, 2012 and 2013 exam paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i would like to say you are really lucky to get papers like 2007-2008..because i have a bad feeling i might get something like 2010 papers :( i'm applying for this year (2015) and i'm taking mathematics A fyi..my JLPT level is N5 only..and judging by that i'm going no where if the format is like 2010 >< so is there any advice you could give me? as well as insights of how life was as a scholarship recipient there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, i would like to say you are really lucky to get papers like 2007-2008..because i have a bad feeling i might get something like 2010 papers :( i'm applying for this year (2015) and i'm taking mathematics A fyi..my JLPT level is N5 only..and judging by that i'm going no where if the format is like 2010 >< so is there any advice you could give me? as well as insights of how life was as a scholarship recipient there

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish i could get these past question papers sent to me in my blog or my email (determalmo4blessedvirginmary.blogspot.com) (blessedvirginm@gmail.com)

    i will be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this. I want to know if for Postgraduate level I would have to do Math. Because I have not done math in ages. It's not around my career angle.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey kai.. thank you for sharing your experience.. this is a great help actually but can you please email to me the previous 2007-2008 papers? (if you still have them) the link above cannot be found.. thank you very much for the help.. by the way my email add would be pableo.mbryany@gmail.com thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kai could you please be more specific about maths syllabus, I mean what I have to prepare for Mathematics B. Anyone who have past papers please kindly send on captainshrish010@gmail.com. Anyone here is kind enough so please tell me which topics in Mathematics B I should prepare?
    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There was one part of the questions that asked you to identify the erratic part of a sentence which was a bit tougher though. Can I get one paragraph's answer with its justification?

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was one part of the questions that asked you to identify the erratic part of a sentence which was a bit tougher though. Can I get one paragraph's answer with its justification?

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you guys ever need past MEXT papers, please check this blog out. It is the most complete site I've ever seen, and in fact, I have compiled them myself! http://japanesegovermentscholarshippapers.blogspot.com/2017/05/monbusho-past-papers-compilation-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Could I know about old question links?Pls help me!And then,can I join with your email to ask and know about this?My email adress is khinzarlinn1996@gmail.com.Thank you.I'm forwarding your email,Pls.

    ReplyDelete