Sunday 9 February 2014

7 Things to (Probably) Introduce Myself

Hi, my name is Kai(海 in Japanese), nickname in fact, and before starting on any other writing, I thought it would be best to first introduce myself. And I also thought it might be good to introduce myself by listing 7 items that best describe myself. So, without any delay, here are the 7 descriptions that best fit me:


1. ASL: 18-year-old (year 2014), Male, currently living in Malaysia and going to Tokyo soon. 


2. My current interests are reading books and watching films. My favorite authors are George Orwell (known for the political satires 1984 and Animal Farm) and H.P. Lovecraft. And yes, the latter does imply I'm a big Cthulu Mythos fan. And I also read Chinese novels, but not a lot (most are Chinese translations of Japanese novels in fact). 

Part of all the books that I own. Planning to bring some of my favorite novels to Japan!



Watching films is another of my interests. Favorite film of all time? Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight. I don't really read the graphic novels of Batman, but that movie was just plain awesome even to a non-fan like me, in terms of plot, music, cinematography, the visuals... 

My DVD Collection.
And if you know me good enough, I'm quite the picky movie-goer. I do trust film critic sites like Metacritic and RottenTomatoes a lot, and I wouldn't watch a movie unless the reviews are good. Although that does lead to some awkward situations where I bring my friends to watch some arthouse, Oscar-bait film and they go dozing off halfway through the movie. 


3. I used to watch Japanese anime and read manga, but due to certain issues, I've stopped watching it since last year. However, I do have my favorite anime and manga, and they are Higurashi no Naku Koro ni(ひぐらしの鳴く頃に)and Kindaichi Case Files(金田一少年の事件簿)respectively.

Furthermore, I used to be an avid player of Yu-Gi-Oh, but stopped around the time Synchros died out and replaced with Xyz monsters. I still do have my Agent Angel deck though, and I would be bringing it to Tokyo, so anyone in Tokyo can invite me to a duel. 


4. My disease? Yeah, I do have... 

Hehe. Just joking. It's not a "disease" per say. I must admit that I have a mild case of chuunibyou (中二病)since secondary school, and it hits every time I see something spectacular or awesome. Like there was one time, I saw an actual-size Gundam model and I go forward to pose a photo, pretending myself as a Power Ranger!


5. Much unlike other teenage boys, I don't enjoy sports or video games at all. Probably because of my upbringing since childhood, but I wouldn't want to discuss it here. I do play computer games like Pokemon (yeah, you can laugh now^^), but only a few times every year. I get very nauseous whenever I play a first-person shooter or any game involving shaky camera, which is why I don't usually join other boys in playing such games.


6. Malaysia-born, but wasn't strictly Malaysia-educated. My primary school, as probably most Malaysian Chinese do, was a chinese school and my first two years of secondary education was also in a chinese private school. After Secondary Two (14 years old), I got an offer to study in Singapore and I accepted it. My Secondary Three and Four were in an all boys' school in Singapore and later, with my O-Level results, I entered a junior college and completed the last two years of my formal education there. 

I believe that it is the diversity of education that I received and the different cultures that I was exposed to during the past 12 years that made me want to explore the world more and make the decision to study at a Japanese university.


7. Very fond of cats, especially since they have such a loving, quiet demeanor. Yeah, I am that kind of person who, if saw a wild cat near a supermarket, would go into the supermarket and buy some cat food for it. And I'm absolutely looking forward to visiting one of the neko cafes in Tokyo! 

A wild cat that lives near my previous dormitory in Singapore. Isn't it adorable?

Busy eating a tin of cat food...

So, yeah, that would be all for my introduction, and I'll be leaving for Tokyo at the beginning of April, that's why from February to March this blog will be mainly dedicated to my experience applying for the MEXT undergraduate scholarship last year. If you do have any questions about me, do feel free to comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment